John Hogarty, born in Virginia, came to the area known as Marathon county around 1844 and along with Ackley and Isaac Stone settled aong the banks of the Eau Claire River. When Marathon County was created in 1850, the area was occupied by the Ojibwe. The Eau Claire, navigable by canoe, was important to the area due to the presence of large tracts of virgin timber, known simply as "The Pinery."
Hogarty set up a trading post halfway up the Eau Claire; records show the principal trade was pork, flour, salt, a few 'groceries', dry goods, hardware and crockery. Isaac Stone also set up a post with similiar goods; both Hogarty and Stone bartered for furs, maple syrup and timber. Hogarty and Stone engaged in cutting and floating pine logs down the Eau Claire River with Willard Ackley, who operated a post at the forks of the east and west branches of the Eau Claire, ten miles upstream of Hogarty.
All of these men married into the Ojibwe, marrage records show the men served as witnesses at these ceremonies. Unfortunatley, no record has been found to document Isaac's marriage. However, documents do show that in 1855, following the birth of their third known child, Isaac Stone's wife died and was buried at Hogarty's Trading Post. Eventually this site became the Riverview cemetery.
The back of the marker reads:
"An Irish-Chippewa Family of Wisconsin"
John C. Hogarty of Irish ancestry, born in Virginia in 1825, came to Marathon County about 1844 and died in 1904. He was a farmer, lumberman and Civil War Veteran. He married Set-Os-Na-Qua, daughter of Swa-Juan-A-Qua and Nit-Wen-Osk and grand-daughter of Chief Great Eagle, after her death he married Moke-Gesick-Co-Qua, daugther of Sak-a-See-Do-Qua and ay-May-Way-Con
Copyright © 2009 by Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski