Friday, January 29, 2010

Maengun Neebageesis - Wolf Moon



Only one thing could pull me away from the warmth of a fire and the promise of an evening spent with a dog curled up next to me, cozy and warm, and send me outside - bundled up against the bitter cold: the chance to photograph Maengun Neebageesis, Wolf Moon.



The Farmers Almanac describes the Wolf Moon as "January - Amid the cold and deep snows of midwinter, the wolf packs howled hungrily outside Indian villages. Thus, the name for January's full Moon. Sometimes it was also referred to as the Old Moon, or the Moon After Yule. Some called it the Full Snow Moon, but most tribes applied that name to the next Moon."

Tonights moon will be the 14% wider and 30% brighter according to Spaceweather.com. Along with the added bonus of Mars cozied up next to the Wolf Moon, I decide that Jinny could keep my spot on the couch warm until I return.


Copyright (c) 2010 Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski

2 comments:

Dr. Bill (William L.) Smith said...

My daughter said it was really bright last night, about 2:30 - she was us to watch the Australian Open Tennis!
I missed it... until your photo! Thanks!

Keep these ancestor stories coming!

Bill ;-)

http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"

Cher' Shots said...

The moon was brilliant. We checked it out with the high power binocs and it was fantastic. Just one more advantage of NOT living in a concrete city.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails