Saturday, December 4, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2010 - Dec. 4 Christmas Cards


Did your family send cards?
Did your family display the ones they received?
Do you still send Christmas cards?
Do you have any cards from your ancestors?
 I have enjoyed reading the posts of my Geneablogger friends who are taking part in this years Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories. The consensus is, like egg nog and mince pie, unless you grew up with a family that embraced the Christmas card custom, the tradition of sending Christmas cards is more of a chore than a joy.
 
While my grandparents and great-grandparents (especially my maternal side of the family) were fond of collecting post cards from their travels, they saved birthday and anniversary greetings but I do not have any Christmas cards.

Count me among those who sent cards and eagerly anticipated receiving cards. If we didn't receive a card from one of 'our regulars,' several phone calls were usually made to inquire as to the health of that person. Growing up our cards were kept in a sleigh made of wicker. Try as I might, I could never find a sleigh to hold the Scherwinski family cards; I don't know when I found this Christmas cottage basket but it has become our family's traditional card holder.


I love writing. From the tactual feel of a good pen and the flow of ink on paper to the forming of the idea to set down on paper. I was never a fan of the typewriter as the stopping to correct my errors, which usually occur because my fingers can't keep up with my thoughts, was too inhibiting. But oh how I love computers.

I have always looked forward to sitting down with boxes of cards and my address book. The cards would end up in two piles: one where a handwritten wish for a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year would suffice and those who would find a note written on their card. Yes, I also have resorted to the dreaded Christmas letter. It is a challenge to share the accomplishments of our children without sounding as if we are bragging but I rationalize this with the thought that family & friends realize I am addicted to family history - therefore the Scherwinski family Christmas letter is nothing more than family history.

With a shared passion for photography our Christmas cards now feature original photography. From my vast collection of poems and prayers there is always one that is 'perfect' to accompany the photo.

I'm pleased to share a few of my favorite photos that have graced our Christmas cards over the past few years. I'll spare you the Christmas letter but wish you a Merry Christmas and all the best in the coming New Year.






4 comments:

Lori H said...

Beautiful pictures, Cindy! We are part of that "Christmas Cards, yes" sorority! :)

Teresa Wilson Rogers said...

Your photography is amazing!

Cher' Shots said...

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas!
I still send cards, but sadly my list has dwindled as my Aunts and Uncles have declined. I have also joned the ranks of those who send "E-CARDS" to some friends who use their computers. I know it's not the same yet I've reached out to many people I hadn't sent paper cards to so I guess that's a good thing.
Your little wicker cottage is adorable and your REAL cottage is my dream!
'hugs from afar'

Diana Ritchie said...

Beautiful pictures ~ my idea of Christmas time!! I must admit to being a Christmas card "heathen", but I actually like the few I get with the Christmas letter inside :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails