Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories - Dec. 15 Hoiday Happenings


Often times December to mid-January birthdays and anniversaries get over shadowed by the Christmas/Hanukkah/New Year holidays. So we're going to shine a spotlight on those family members and ancestors this time around. Select one or more December to mid-January birthdays and/or anniversaries on your family tree. Write a short tribute to or memory of those birthday guys and gals and write a toast to the anniversary couples.


Thanks to Randy Seaver for his Saturday Night Genealogy Fun posted on his blog Genea-Musings. Earlier this year he asked everyone to create a calendar then post the results. When I read the prompt for today's contribution, I had to think that Santa Randy was probably having the last laugh.

Looking at my December and January calendar created in Family Tree Maker I was surprised to see the number of my first and second cousins; once, twice and a couple three times removed who were celebrating birthdays and anniversaries during the holiday season. To those wonderful relatives, many of whom have sent their Christmas greetings, I wish you happy birthday or congratulations on achieving another anniversary milestone. No need to mention you by name but I hope you know I am thinking of you.

There are a couple of events I would like to pay special tribute to, listed here in chronological order:

Digital Image. Undated. Original photograph privately held
by Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski. 2010

Happy Birthday Grandpa Charlie. Born December 2, 1887, in Ham Lake Township, Anoka Co., MN, my paternal grandfather would have celebrated his 123rd birthday earlier this month. The oldest son of Francis Xavier Bergeron (1863-1953) and Mary Elizabeth Reinwand (1865-1951) Charles Edward Bergeron is seen in the above photo with my grandmother Mildred Eileen Little and cousin Connie.

Digital Image. Dec. 8, 1951. Original photograph privately held
 by Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski. 2010

Happy Anniversary to my parents who celebrated their 59th anniversary on December 8th. I love this photograph and can recall trying on my mother's wedding dress which was heavy white satin. My parents were married in a candlelight ceremony at the First Methodist Church in Antigo. They recall that it was a bitterly cold night with several feet of snow on the ground.

Having posted today's Wordless Wednesday as a birthday tribute to my sister Lori I won't embarrass her with any more cutsie photographs.

Digital Image. Undated. Original photograph privately held
by Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski. 2010

Christmas Eve 1976 will always be remembered as the year we attended the funeral of  my 13-year old cousin Becky Lynn. Becky was killed on December 21, 1976, when she and several of her friends climbed over a chain link fence intent on crossing Interstate 694 in Minneapolis during rush hour traffic. I've often thought about the driver of the car who was drawn into the decision the three friends made that night. It wasn't just my family whose lives were forever changed. Becky Lynn would have been 47 years old.


Digital Image. Oct. 11, 2009.. Original photograph privately held
by Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski. 2010

My youngest son celebrates his birthday in early January so it is a bit early to wish him Happy Birthday; he'll  just have to wait! To say that he is a joy is a serious understatement. Funny, smart, honest and giving almost to a fault, he makes me laugh and proud to be called Ben's Mom. My Dad has told me many times how proud his brother would have been to know that we gave Ben the middle name of Earle. I agree, I believe he is.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails