Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories 2010 - Dec. 6 Santa Claus



Did you ever send a letter to Santa?
Did you ever visit Santa and “make a list?”
Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

I had an advantage when it came to making out my Christmas list: I knew Santa's true identity.

Everyone else thought Santa spent the 'off-season' lounging around the North Pole, or maybe taking a holiday to Maui (where else would the Big Man of Christmas go but the Big Island??) I knew what Santa really did in the off season: he was a dairy farmer in Langlade county, Wisconsin. The secret can now be revealed: my grandfather was Santa Claus.

I'm not sure how old I was when I realized the truth but there were a lot of clues. Tracks in the snow by the back door of the farm house that could only be made by a sleigh, hearing my grandfather getting up during the night, obviously to begin his trip around the world delivering packages, and not hearing him come back to bed. Who else could Santa possibly be but my grandfather who loved children and he knew so much about nature and could identify so many sounds at night.

There was never a doubt that my annual letter to Santa would get delivered; my mom and grandmother exchanged letters on a regular basis so I knew my Mom had the secret address so my letter didn't have to go to the North Pole before being forwarded to RRI Deerbrook, WI. The letters of the Bergeron girls went directly to Santa.

I have never lost my faith and while there were a few years when I thought I might have been mistaken in my belief, I have since realized how true it is to follow your heart.

While assisting my good friend Joyce compile the history of Vilas Township a few years ago, one of the life-long residents wrote a piece recalling her memories of growing up in the township which included her fond memory of Harley Space passing out gifts at the township Christmas pageant "dressed up as Santa Claus."

Do I need to say anything more?

Copyright (c) Cindy Bergeron Scherwinski. 2010

1 comment:

Colleen G. Brown Pasquale said...

What a delightful story; your Grandpa as Santa! Thanks for sharing!
http://leavesnbranches.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails